Monday, May 27, 2013

New Experience #55: Homemade Granola

Homemade Granola

Yes, I know I'm long overdue in filling you in on the details of my progress on the completion of 100 New Experiences this year. I will catch up. I promise.

I've been busy though, you should know that. Since my last post, I have completed items #8, 9, 10, 13, 15, 16.1, 48, 51, 56, 65, and 55. This post is about #55.

Eighteen months ago I found a recipe in the Chicago Tribune for homemade Granola. I've been holding on to this recipe and been thinking about making it ever since.

Great news! Today was the day. And you know what? It really is yummy. I can't wait to enjoy it tomorrow morning for breakfast with my yogurt.

Because it's so yummy and so easy to make I thought I'd share the recipe with you.

Homemade Granola
Prep: 15 - 30 minutes
Bake: 35 minutes
Makes: About 7 cups
Ingredients:

  • 4 1/2 cups quick-cook rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
  • 1 tablespoon coarse salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 3 tablespoons water

Directions:

  1. Mix: Stir together oats, almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds and sale in a large bowl. Make a well in the center.
  2. Boil: Measure butter, brown sugar, maple syrup and water into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil (watch closely; syrup will bubble up). Pour hot syrup into the well. Stir gently with a wooden spoon until the dry ingredients are thoroughly coated.
  3. Bake: Divide the mixture evenly between two rimmed baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Slide into a 300-degree oven. Bake, rotating trays and stirring the granola every 15 minutes, until golden brown and dry (but not brittle) to the touch, about 35 minutes. Let cool.
  4. Store: Tumble into an airtight container; seal. Keeps at room temperature for 2-3 weeks.
Source: Home on the Range column by Leah Eskin, Chicago Tribune, September 4, 2011, sec. 6, p. 30; original source: adapted from a recipe shared by Leah Eskin's friend Vanina Wolf, who adapted her recipe from the Hotel Fauchere in Milford, PA.

JLG notes: I used salted butter because it's what I had. In the future, I would not add the additional 1 T salt because the end product is a little salty for my taste, but still yummy. I did not use any pumpkin seeds because I could not find shelled ones and I attempted to shell them, but had no luck. Instead, I added an additional 1/2 cup each of almonds and pecans. The recipe says it takes about 15 minutes to prep, but I had to slice the pecans and almonds. If I had raisins or dried cherries, I'd add them. It's all about personal preference. I'll definitely make this again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.