Friday, April 11, 2008

Happy Anniversary Mom & Dad!

Pictured (L-R): Michael E. Paulk (Mom's brother), Frances S. Paulk (Nana), Mom & Dad

Ok, I will probably get killed for this post, but I'm going ahead with it anyway. And in case anyone thinks I'm being the slightest bit sarcastic, I assure you I'm not. I mean every word with the utmost sincerity.

Today would be my parents 38th wedding anniversary. I say would be because they got divorced when I was 12. Well, technically, they got separated then and divorced a few years later, but the split happened when I was 12.

I know that wedding anniversaries aren't celebrated once two people get divorced, but I think that overall, my parents were two good people who did two really great things (me and my brother Dave) and that should be celebrated. Back in the day (1970), my parents surely would never have just lived together unmarried and had kids - those things simply weren't done back then. So, had they not gotten married 38 years ago today, Dave and I wouldn't be here now.

So thanks Mom & Dad!

And thanks also for having a friendly divorce. I appreciate that you've both been civil and kind to each other over the years. Neither one of you has ever bad mouthed the other, at least in my memory. In fact, it seems to me that you've both gone out of your way to remain at least friendly and there for our family. Mom went to the funerals of Dad's parents in the 1990s and Dad has never missed a major milestone in our lives because it was inconvenient or uncomfortable to be around Mom. Dad has also kept up a relationship with Nana over the years, which she loved. And even now, he always asks about her and is firmly in Mom's corner with the care Mom has given Nana these past few years, even when others have disagreed with some of Mom's decisions.

I'm sure it can't be easy to have to maintain a relationship with your ex-spouse, but for the sake of Dave and me, you have. And you should both be proud of that.
Thanks for getting married and thanks for giving us the best family possible.

Please join me in raising a glass to my parents today on their 38th wedding anniversary.

1 comment:

  1. Very sweet post and that's a heck of a great picture. I love photos from that time period.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.