The other night, my friend Jen posted a link on Facebook about Lake County Forest Preserve's annual Hike Lake County Challenge looking for friends to join her and her husband, Alan (who is one of my co-workers), for this fun way to get fit this fall.
Lake County has a number of beautiful forest preserves and hiking through them you can see all kinds of wildlife and plant life. One of the things I love about Lake County, and Lake Forest in particular, is the commitment to open lands and the preservation of nature. Within a 5 minute drive from my house, I can be out in the middle of the country and away from the hustle and bustle of suburban sprawl. It's heavenly.
To participate in the Challenge, you simply need to hike 7 of the 12 designated trails (each less than 3 miles), record them using the Travel Log or the mobile phone app, and send your hiking log to the Lake County Forest Preserves. Plus, there's a scavenger hunt to add to the fun.
No matter where you are in Lake County, there's a trail near you:
- Des Plaines River Trail (North) in Wadsworth
- Des Plaines River Trail (North) in Gurnee
- Des Plaines River Trail (South) in Libertyville
- Des Plaines River Trail (South) in Vernon Hills
- Fox River in Port Barrington
- Herron Creek in Long Grove
- Lyons Woods in Beach Park
- McDonald Woods in Lindenhurst
- Middlefork Savanna in Lake Forest
- Nippersink in Round Lake
- Ray Lake in Wauconda
- Rollins Savanna in Grayslake
Jen, Alan and I are going to get out on the trails this fall to enjoy the beauty of Lake County and get in some easy exercise. In fact, I've heard Alan is already planning his hiking stick. Ya, we take this seriously.
Interested in joining us? Send me a message here or on Facebook and we'll make a plan.