Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Sometimes Only Mom Will Do . . .

Most of the time I like being an adult. I love what I do for a living. I can handle paying bills, doing housework, and all the other things required to maintain a home. I usually even like grocery shopping. And even the scary noises aren't so bad.

But there's one thing that, no matter how old I get, will just plain suck without my mom.

Being sick.

When I was a kid and I was sick, my mom would do what probably every mom did - she took my temperature, made my room nice and warm and cozy with extra blankets and a heating pad in my bed, made me soup, and of course, gave me medicine or take me to the doctor. Usually, her extra attention alone made me feel better. She was the best.

Now that I'm an adult and I'm sick (it's really just a cold with swollen glands, sore throat, mild congestion, aches, and chills, but I feel miserable anyway), I've got to take care of myself. And my motivation to make soup is nil. I'm not hungry. And my body aches too much to walk to the cabinet and get more medicine. And somehow, no matter how many pillows and extra blankets I stuff into my bed, it's just not as cozy as when my mom did it. And then, of course, there's the whole issue about work. I should be working today and I've worked some, but I just feel too icky.

I'm not complaining about being sick. My well laid plan says I'll be better tomorrow. I'm not even complaining about being alone and having to take care of myself. I'm reminiscing about how lucky I have been to have a great mom who spoiled me when I was sick.

1 comment:

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.