In the end, I decided that I do want to keep writing LMS and I want to get back to the reason I started it in the first place. Little Merry Sunshine was started to celebrate what inspires me and all that I'm grateful for and that's where it's going back to. That's not to say that I won't discuss politics or sports or other things I find interesting, but I'm going to focus on the good in the world because in spite of what we are constantly bombarded with in the media, life is good, people are good, and there is much to celebrate.
So to kick off the new year, here's what I'm grateful for today:
1. Being home. I was in Florida over Christmas and I may share the trip with you soon. Let's just say it was no vacation, but I'm about at the point I can laugh about it. Being home is no small thing and I am incredibly grateful for the beautiful home I have.
2. My friends. It's my belief that friends are the family I choose. Friends enrich my life in ways I am sometimes unaware of and they are always there. You laugh with me (and sometimes at me) and cry with me. You sometimes hold me up when I don't think I have the strength to get through a challenge. So whether you're real life day-to-day friend, a social media friend or a friend I haven't seen in a decade but we keep in regular touch, I am grateful for you.
3. My family. Sure, my family makes me crazy. And yes, I wish my family was more Norman Rockwell than Norman Bates, but I love them because of their idiosyncrasies (aka psychosis). As we kick off 2012, everyone is healthy, safe, and with a solid roof over their head that they own. Believe me, that's saying something this year.
4. Betsey and Ross. Okay, I get it. It's a little "crazy cat lady" to discuss them as often as I do. I own that. It's been a tough year for them as well and I'm grateful they are both healthy senior citizens (when does their Social Security check start arriving?). Ross's diabetes are finally under control and Betsey's thyroid condition is controlled as well. Those are good, if expensive things.
5. My job. In just a few weeks, I will have been at LFGSM for 12 months. It's hard to believe because the time has flown. It's a great place to work because of the people.
6. The 2012 GOP Presidential Candidates. Seriously. They provide me with endless laughter every day.
7. My own health. I got serious about working out earlier this year and it made a huge difference in how I feel. Unfortunately, that got derailed earlier this fall, but I'm getting back to it now. Well, tomorrow. Really.
8. Having the day off to spend just hanging out. After my trip to Florida, just having a day to myself is glorious.
I think that about covers it this morning. What are you grateful for today?