Almost three years ago, I created my Bucket List. I've made some progress on it and I'm proud of that progress. The items on my Bucket List still excite me. But my Bucket List lacks one thing: urgency.
Do you know the difference between a dream and a goal? Dates. Goals have dates attached to them. Dreams are "some day" things. Goals have a begin and end date.
Because I need to find my adventurous side again and I want to live more fully than I have been in the past year, I'm taking some inspiration from Amy Guth, Social Media Manager at the Chicago Tribune. If you don't follow Amy on Twitter, you're missing out. Trust me. She's tough, smart, witty, and one of the coolest women on the interwebs. Amy has decided to spice up her life by doing 1,000 new things in one year. How cool is that?
1,000 new experiences feels completely overwhelming to me, but 100 feels daunting and exciting at the same time. In fact, since I had this idea early last week, I've flown out of bed each morning with new ideas. Some of the ideas listed below are from my Bucket List and some are new.
Here are my ground rules: "New" is defined as something I've never done or have not done in more than 10 years. My list is ever growing. I will share stories and pictures of each experience. The year kicked off on April 11, 2013 and will conclude on April 10, 2014.
- Attend a taping of Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me
- Vacation by myself and take care of only me. - DONE 4/11 - 4/15/2013
- Vacation in Nashville - DONE 4/11 - 4/15/2013
- Go on vacation and leave work 100% behind (i.e., don't check email or voice mail) - DONE 4/15/2013
- Stand in the center of both the Grand Ole Opry and Ryman Auditorium stages - DONE 4/12/2013 and 4/14/2013
- Play Elvis's piano at the RCA Studio B - DONE 4/12/2013
- Sit on the stage at the Civic Opera House during a performance - Will be done 6/16/2013
- Play with the beluga whales at the Shedd Acquarium - Will be done by June 30th
- Take a cooking class - Scheduled for May 21st at David's Bistro in Antioch
- Swim 1 mile without stopping
- Climb the main dune at Sleeping Bear Dunes - Will be done in August
- Learn a new skill - DONE 4/24/2013 Learned how to make a floral centerpiece
- Increase by savings account by 2 months worth of expenses
- Max out my employer match for my 403(b) in 2013 - DONE Increased my contribution to max out the match 5/2/2013
- Try 20 new foods
- Lose 50 pounds
- Attend a concert in Millenium Park
- Ride a mechanical bull
- Sing karaoke
- Attend a baseball game at Milwaukee's Miller Park - Will be done August 15th
- Take the ferry to Muskegon or Ludington - Will be done in August
- Run a 5K
- Take a golf lesson
- Have a full spa day - massage, mani/pedi, facial, and anything other fancy spa treatment I can find
- Take an Ivy League Class
- Stand on the sky deck ledge in the Sears Tower (don't tell me it's called Willis Tower now, I don't care)
- Visit Mt. Rushmore
- Do a polar plunge
- Reupholster my dining room chairs
- Visit the Museum of Science & Industry
- Visit the Museum of Contemporary Art
- Visit the National Museum of Mexican Art
- Visit the Adler Planetarium
- Visit the DuSable Museum of African American Art
- Visit the Field Museum of Natural History
- Visit the Notebaert Nature Museum
- Give up Diet Coke (and all soda)
- Drink a minimum of 64 oz of water each day
- Have High Tea at The Drake
- Serve meals in a soup kitchen
- Tour the Chicago Tribune
- Attend the Blue Man Group
- Attend the Book of Mormon
- Visit Chicago's Chinatown
- Visit the Illinois Holocaust Museum
- Reread my favorite books from childhood: the Little House on the Prairie series, Little Women, the Anne of Green Gables series
- See Oklahoma at the Civic Opera House - Will be done 5/3/2013
- Visit Galena, Illinois
Putting these ideas down on "paper" was the easy part. Now, I need to get to living life as fully as possible.
Do any of my ideas inspire you? Want to join me on my journey? Let me know and let's team up. Life's more fun when it's experienced with friends.