Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Serenity Prayer

The Serenity Prayer is often associated with AA but it was originally written by Reinhold Niebuhr (1892-1971) and was not written for AA. I find that it helps keep things in perspective when I'm feeling overwhelmed, stressed and can't quite figure out how I'm going to manage it all in life. It reminds me that I can't control everything and I need to let go of what I can't change.

Most of us are probably familiar with the abbreviated version used by AA:

God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change . . .
Courage to change the things I can . . .
and Wisdom to know the difference . . .

This is the actual Serenity Prayer as written by Mr. Niebhur:

God, give us grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.

Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I love this prayer and it is a constant companion for me. That you actually know and printed the Niebhur version touches my heart deeply.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.