Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Overnight French Toast

My dear friend Debbie, who, by the way, is high on my list of things I'm grateful for this Thanksgiving and everyday, shared this delightful recipe with me last year when I joined her family for a pre-trick or treating Halloween brunch. It's so easy and yummy! I then made it for both Thanksgiving and Christmas mornings for my family and they all loved it. What I love most about Overnight French Toast is that I make it the night before, which saves me work in the morning.

As an aside, Debbie and I both went to Lake Forest College (we overlapped by a year) and she got this recipe from her dear friend Laura, another Forester. I think that proves my theory that all the best things in life come from Foresters.

Overnight French Toast

Ingredients
2 loaves French bread
8 eggs
3 c milk
4 t sugar
1 t cinnamon, or more
1 t vanilla, or more
2 T butter, cut into pieces

Directions
Grease 9 x 13" cake pan. Cut bread into 1-inch slices; arrange in layers. Beag eggs with all ingredients except butter; pour over bread. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight (4 to 36 hours). Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Dot with butter. Serve with syrup, berries, and powdered sugar.

Note: I decided to chop pecans and spread them over the top. I'll let you know tomorrow how that turns out.

Debbie recommends serving Overnight French Toast with Mango-mosas, so I share that recipe (from Debbie) below.

Mango-mosa
Ingredients
Dry sparkling wine
Dole Brand Orange/Peach/Mango juice (or orange juice with a fresh squeezed mango & peach)

Directions
Pour equal parts of the fruit juice and sparkling wine in champagne flutes and ideally serve with a raspberry tossed in each glass.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds delicious. I'm going to have to try it either this weekend or over the Christmas holidays.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.