Saturday, July 21, 2012

Joyful Joyful

I don't believe anything just happens. I believe that, especially with the people we are most intimately connected, we bring into each other's lives exactly what the other needs, exactly when it is needed most. The best part of that, in my opinion, is that we often don't realize when we're doing something that will profoundly impact the other person. But the universe knows and guides us to take action.

Take, for example, an email I received the other day from someone who knows me better than almost anyone else. He doesn't usually send me emails and when he does, they never just have video links in them, so I thought this might be some sort of nefarious email I shouldn't open that was sent without his knowledge. So I asked him and without telling me what the video contained, he just said, "yep, I sent it."

Fast forward to this morning when I finally watched the video. Imagine my surprise when I discovered my all-time favorite piece of music and how much it made me smile.

Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 is the first Choral Symphony ever composed. Some say it's the greatest piece of music ever written and is widely held as Beethoven's greatest work.

I can't put my finger on exactly what I love so much about this piece of music, but it just moves me. It touches every part of my being each time I hear it. I not only hear it, but I can feel it, taste it, see it, and yes, smell it. My soul feels happier when I hear even just a few bars.

Ode to Joy, which is sung in the final movement of the symphony, is inspiring. My personal preference, however, is Joyful Joyful, which I grew up singing in church. Now I'm not typically a loud singer in church, but when Joyful, Joyful is part of the service, I stand and belt it out. I love it so much, I want Joyful, Joyful sung at my funeral.

Watch the videos below and just try not to end up in a better mood. Oh, my favorite part is watching the little girl who climbs the light pole "directing."

Som Sabadell Flash Mob


Joyful Joyful

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.