Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick's Day

I know that everyone loves St. Patrick's Day, but I've just never gotten into it. I'm not Irish, so that doesn't tie me to it. As for going drinking in a bar, I like to have a beer every now and again, but I've never really enjoyed going to an overcrowded bar to drink til I'm drunk, which is what seems to happen a lot on St. Patrick's Day. And I don't own any green clothing. It's not that I'm trying to be curmudgeonly, St. Patrick's Day just isn't my thing.

Over lunch today, a number of women were sharing their family traditions on St. Patrick's Day. Some of them were Irish and had corned beef and cabbage waiting in the crock pot and had spent the weekend making loaves of soda bread. One woman shared that in her house, they were having corned beef and green mashed potatoes because she's got little kids. Last year, she made green mac & cheese for dinner. St. Patrick's Day isn't my thing, but I love her enthusiasm for the holiday and how she made it fun for her kids. If I had kids, I'd probably do that too.

That reminded me of the St. Patrick's Day when I was about 5 or 6 and came out for breakfast only to discover that my mom had made us green scrambled eggs and green milk. I was so grossed out at the sight of green eggs and green milk that I don't think I've eaten eggs or drank any milk since.

Needless to say, my St. Patrick's Day celebration tonight consisted of a meeting at Lake Forest College, a visit with one of my favorite professors, a quick trip to the beach (where I did not park my car, although I did send a text message), a client appointment, and a quick Italian dinner with a good friend capped off with green frosted sugar cookies. I was going to go grocery shopping too, but why do today, what I can put off until tomorrow?

What did you do to celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.