Thursday, September 23, 2010

C is for Cleavage*

By now you may have heard that Katy Perry's appearance with Elmo on the New Year's Eve episode of Sesame Street has been pulled because the video of rewritten Hot N Cold duet with Elmo that was released to You Tube was just a little too hot for many parents.

It seems that Katy Perry's cleavage was more than many parents wanted their 3-year-olds exposed to. After seeing the video, I have to say I can understand and agree with Sesame Street's decision to nix the video. Katy is showing a little more of her breasts than I'd want my kids seeing on children's television. It's my opinion that kids today are exposed to too much sex (and violence and other adult themes) way too early and we should let them be innocent kids as long as possible.

All of that said, couldn't the makers of Sesame Street just use some computer graphic technology and put a shirt on Katy rather than that flesh colored practically nipple-baring get-up or at least make the yellow part of the dress come up a bit higher?

What do you think? Watch the video below and let me know if you think Sesame Street was right to cave to the pressure of parents or if Katy's dressed appropriately for today's preschoolers.



*Thanks to my friend Tim on Facebook who originally used the "C is for Cleavage." I loved it and took it for this blog post.

3 comments:

  1. Personally, Sesame Street has jumped the shark. Whatever happened to the characters of the generation before mine? Templeton Franklin was so cool! And also, what's with Oscar now living in a recycling bin, Bert and Ernie no longer living together, and, to top it all of... Cookie Monster becoming "Veggie" Monster and stating that "cookies are a 'sometimes' food?" That's effing bullsh*t.

    As a collegiate male, I don't see anything wrong with Katy Perry's attire...obviously. BUT! I can see the issue. To be fair though, Katy is the closest thing to a pin-up girl this generation is ever going to get. The writers of this episode should have had that in mind when they suggested Katy do her song on the show. As an artist, that is what Katy embodies. To cover her up is to diminish her artistic freedom.

    Now, I know how that sounds: like a load of horse crap. And yes, possibly most of that is coming form the mind of a 21 year old boy. But I'm completely against everyone who is "sooooo taken back" by this "outrage." There are other things to be outraged about that are more important in this country (a list that will be too large for this comment-turning-novel) than whether or not Elmo was gettin' some nookie on his day-job. I mean c'mon! After all, he's been in existence for almost 40 years now. Are you really going to believe that he's been three-and-a-half for that long? NO! Jesus, the monster has needs! Good for him!

    I wish I could play with Katy too.

    There, I said it.

    Sue me.

    -Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, who the hell is Katy Perry? I'm so glad that I've never "discovered" her before.

    Second, if this Katy person does not have the ability to censor her own titties on TV for children, then someone else should.

    I'm pretty much for individuals wearing what they want (with the exception of a T shirt I saw a scraggly man wearing that said "I F*ck Dead People). But this chick really shouldn't pass on the message to young girls that tits and over-produced singing are what it's all about to be female.

    As far as I can tell from my limited exposure to her, she has little class and should be informed of this by the staff at Sesame Street.

    Now, I've got to go chase hoodlums off of my lawn and swill some Geritol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry... that's Roosevelt Franklin*

    (Not Templeton)

    Evidence of his coolness:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww3RAgnVOIs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.