You may have heard that we're supposed to get a little snow in Chicago today/tonight/tomorrow. To help you survive Snowmageddon 2011, Little Merry Sunshine offers the following driving tips:
That's right. Don't drive. Stay inside and keep warm.
Oh, and if you're coupled up inside, you may want to schedule an appointment with your OB-GYN for about 9 months from now and also reserve a room in your favorite maternity ward. Your doctor is likely to have a backlog of appointments with no rooms available in the inn (or hospital).
On a serious note, if you must leave the house to drive anywhere, keep these tips in mind:
1. It's illegal to drive with your wipers on and your headlights off. Even if you can see, your headlights make it easier for others to see you.
2. Have a full tank of gas and plenty of wiper fluid.
3. Drive slower and leave extra space between you and other cars. Better to arrive late than not at all.
4. Stay off your cell phone., but carry it with you and make sure it's fully charged. Actually, this is a good idea even in good weather.
5. Have an emergency kit in your car: cat litter or salt, a shovel, snow scraper, a warm blanket or two, extra gloves, hat and socks, jumper cables, snacks, bottled water and activities for the kids. My emergency kit is in my backseat.
The bottom line for blizzard driving is to drive defensively, have patience, and don't be a jerk.