Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I Didn't Get Rich . . .

This whole George Carlin 7 Dirty Words routine reminded me of a funny story from when I was about 5, so I thought I'd share it this morning in hopes that you'd all think it was funny too.

When I was growing up, Jimmy Buffett was constantly on the record player (and for you kids who aren't familiar with these machines, click here) because my mom was an original Parrothead, not to be confused with a Deadhead. Jimmy's music is very singable, even for a 4 or 5 year old. One of my favorite albums then, and now, was A1A, which was released in 1974, when I was 3. We played it over and over and over again. And, of course, being the brilliant child that I was, I memorized all the lyrics.

One of the songs on A1A is called Door Number Three and is about this guy who is trying to make it big and believes his "whole world lies waiting behind Door Number Three" on Let's Make A Deal. He gets himself on the show and loses big. Crushed, after the show, he's walking backstage when he sees Monty Hall and says "No I didn't get rich you son of a bitch, I'll be back just wait and see." Of all the songs on A1A, Door Number Three was my favorite. I'm not quite sure why, given that A1A is full of Buffett classics - "Makin Music for Money," "Stories We Could Tell," "Life is Just A Tire Swing," and "A Pirate Looks At Forty" to name just a few.

But I LOVED this song. And I ran around the neighborhood singing it at the top of my lungs - especially that famous line "I didn't get rich you son of a bitch, I'll be back just wait and see!" I guess I have always been an optimist and believed that no matter what, I would always succeed, even if it took multiple tries.

Needless to say, my mother wasn't exactly pleased and as soon as she discovered that I was running around the neighborhood doing my best Jimmy Buffett impression, she informed me in no uncertain terms that we were no longer going to be listening to A1A and I couldn't sing that song. Something about dirty words in the song. I don't know, but I can't find ANY of the lyrics from "Door Number Three" on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.