Thursday, September 17, 2009

Summer 2009: The Summer My Adolescence Died

I don't even want to turn on the news or check out a news website anymore. As my friend Bergsie Tweeted yesterday, "It used to be I'd see a celebrity name listed on Google trends and assume they'd made a sex tape. Now I assume they're dead."

Too many people have died in the last 3 1/2 months. This is a partial list of those with the greatest impact on my life. In one way or another, each of these people has contributed to my life and the woman I've become. I was entertained by them, dreamed of them ringing my doorbell and informing me I was rich, covetted their hair, wished I could dance or sing like them, fantasized about being romanced by them, inspired to be a better person and leave the world better than I found it by them, and loved by them.

Ed McMahon from The Johnny Carson Show, Star Search, & Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes - June 23rd
Farrah Fawcett of Charlie's Angels - June 25th
Michael Jackson, The King of Pop - June 25th
Walter Cronkite, CBS Legend and "The Most Trusted Man in America" - July 17th
Frances Scruggs Paulk Bredemeier, my Nana - July 12th
John Hughes of 16 Candles, Breakfast Club, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off - August 6th
Eunice Kennedy, humitarian - August 11th
Senator Ted Kennedy - August 25th
Patrick Swayze, Johnny Castle of Dirty Dancing - September 14th
Mary Travers of Peter, Paul & Mary - September 16th

I truly wish I'd bought stock in Kleenex earlier this summer. I'd be sad, but at least I would have made some money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.