Sunday, August 29, 2010

Next Year's Watervale Goal: Climb Baldy at Night

The view from the top of Baldy would be 1000 times better than this.

Over the last few years, as I am planning my Watervale trip, I have developed the habit of challenging myself physically. In 2004, I climbed Baldy for the first time in almost 15 years. In 2008, I learned to kayak and kayaked from Lower Herring Lake through the Outlet and over the dam to Lake Michigan and back. This year, I climbed Baldy and swam to BooHoo. Accomplishing each of these goals makes me truly proud and confident in myself.

And now, thanks to my friend Benny Jay*, who I have known for close to 20 years because he and his family have the great sense to vacation at Watervale, I know what I'm going to do next summer . . . I'm going to climb Baldy at night.

Benny Jay's daughters climbed Baldy one night while we were there. (Go read about their adventure here). Now, I will grant you, these amazing women are half my age and they run Baldy everyday, but I can do this too.

I've always wanted to climb Baldy at night, but never really let myself entertain the thought for more than a few fleeting moments because I didn't think I could. But that's the benefit of making the decision to do it now: I've got 11 months to get into shape for it and all the exercise will help me in my plan to lose weight before I turn 40 (see Bucket List Item #22).

I can only imagine the sight of a sky with a full 360 degree view of stars without the glare of lights or trees blocking the way. Maybe I'll see some shooting stars or even the Northern Lights.

Plus, I think that climbing Baldy at night may be a terrific way to celebrate my 40th birthday.

*Benny Jay is the best writer in Chicago. Seriously. He keeps all the politicians on their toes with his work for The Reader and his exposure of Mayor Daley's favorite slush fund: TIFs. In his spare time writes for the second best blog in the city, The Third City. If you're not already doing so, you should read Benny Jay's work every day.

1 comment:

  1. When you climb Baldy at night, I'm sure it will be an AWESOME view of the night sky.

    I can't wait to read your description of that!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.