Saturday, December 8, 2007

2nd Annual Marshall Field's Memorial Dinner & Christmas Party

Last Saturday night was the 2nd Annual Marshall Field's Memorial Dinner & Christmas Party. Designed to pay tribute to the World's Greatest Department Store after its demise into Macy's, this dinner really is just an excuse to get my closest friends together at the holidays.

In keeping with tradition, because Marshall Field's is nothing if not tradition, tastebuds were once again titillated by the tantalizing tastes of Epicurean Christopher Bellios' kitchen. Guests enjoyed the smells and tastes of days gone by -- when the Empire Carpet man appeared live, when the Christmas season was a treat and when the Walnut Room actually meant something.

The menu came straight from the Marshall Field's Cookbook. Well, most of it anyway. I did add a couple of my own special touches.

2nd Annual Marshall Field's Memorial Dinner & Christmas Party Menu
Hors d'oeuvres
Shrimp Cocktail
Spanakopita
Assortment of Puff Pastry Petites

Dinner
Field's Special Salad
Popovers
Asiago-Crusted Chicken with Mustard-Glazed Carrots and Fingerling Potatoes
Fresh Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce

Dessert
Triple-Treat Chocolate Layer Cake
We also served Fieldtini's to drink, which Shannon, Diana, and I discovered on our last trip to The Walnut Room just before Christmas 2005 when it was still Marshall Field's.

Thanks to Diana for the "hard work" it took to perfect this recipe!

Fieldtini's
3/4 shot Midori
1 shot Raspberry Twist Vodka
1/4 - 1/2 shot Lime Juice
Maraschino Cherries

Shake Midori, Vodka, & Lime Juice in Martini Shaker with ice. Pour into Martini Glass. Dress with 1 Maraschino Cherry dropped into bottom of glass. Enjoy!

Much to my surprise, everyone oohed and ahhhed over the cocktail sauce accompanying the Shrimp Cocktail and wanted to know where it came from. Like almost everything else I serve, I made it from scratch, which no one could believe. It seems no one I know does this, which surprises me because cocktail sauce is one of the easiest things to make and I think buying pre-made cocktail sauce is not only a waste of money, but also adds nothing to the shrimp.

So here's my recipe. I have no amounts because everything is to taste, pretty much the way I make everything.

Cocktail Sauce
Stir together ketchup, horseradish, Worcestershire Sauce and a splash of fresh lemon juice. All to taste.

3 comments:

  1. I did a search for the MF recipe for Asiago-Crusted Chicken with Mustard-Glazed Carrots and Fingerling Potatoes and found your site. I am out of town at a family function and left my MF cookbook at home. Do you have this recipe handy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do and if you'd like to email me (my email address is at the bottom of my blog), I'll email it to you. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I am a displaced Chicagoan living outside Memphis, and I miss Marshall Field's! and Chicago!
    My childrens' favorite thing from the store was the luscious Frosted Chocolate Cookies. Soft, brownie-like, with a super glaze on top. My eldest, a Chef, used to bribe friends to bring him boxes of the cookies when he was working in California. Is the recipe for the cookies in the book, and would you share if it is?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.