Thursday, March 20, 2008

It's Here! We Made It To Spring!

Ah . . . . crisp fresh air. Sunshine. Blue skies. Melted snow. And my calendar says that today is the Spring Equinox. I made it through the endless winter of 2007-2008.

Taking out the garbage this morning, I noticed that the ground was no longer frozen solid. That means I will soon be seeing my tulips popping up. And after that, the hastas will be back. And, of course, the rabbits too. And the perennials plants in my backyard garden, too. I honestly don't even remember what I planted back there. Watching all the plants appear will be like Christmas morning!

It's about to warm. It's not yet warm, but somehow the 32 degrees didn't feel so cold today.

And the Cubs open at Wrigley in 11 days.

As I write this, my neighbor Louise is outside arranging her fake tulips in her rock garden. Really. She put away the fake winter flowers and wooden reindeer and snowmen this morning and brought out the spring flowers. Yes, her rock garden has fake flowers, but the rest of her yard will soon be overflowing with real flowers - rose bushes will line her driveway and there will be too many different types of flowers in the back to name. She must be almost 90, but she'll be out there every morning weeding, planting, watering, and generally tending to her gardens. She inspires me. Seeing Louise outside tinkering is a sure sign that Spring is here.

I know it's supposed to snow tonight and we may get up to 10 inches, but I'm still grateful the calendar says Spring. That means the snow and muck can't last all that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.