Friday, March 28, 2008

Yes, Hell HAS Frozen Over

Mandatory Disclaimer: I love my dad. He's a pretty cool guy. He introduced me to Watervale, a place I cherish. How could anyone dislike a guy like that? My dad is a good man and wouldn't hurt a fly. He taught me about antiques. He taught me to love the Cubs. Okay, that's actually a fault because that has subjected me to lifetime of continual heartbreak. But did I mention I love my dad?

Okay, now that you know that I love my dad, let me say again: Yes, Hell HAS Frozen Over.

My dad has one major fault: He's a Republican and he always votes. (And, in case you're not sure, I'm not.) In fact, I don't think he's ever met a Democratic candidate he liked. In order to keep family peace, we cannot discuss politics. EVER. But sometimes, I make little jabs. Like telling him that Democrats always vote the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November and Republicans vote the next day. He doesn't like that much.

Late this afternoon, we had a fairly quick conversation. As our conversation was concluding, I said, "Dad, you should vote for Obama in the Indiana primary in May." (My dad lives in Indiana, so this is possible.) Now, I said this as a joke because I knew Hell would freeze over before he voted for a Democrat. But his response shocked me. He asked me why he shouldn't vote for Hillary. And he was serious.

So that started a short political conversation.

Ultimately, my dad said that what he wants to happen in the Democratic party is for the whole Obama/Clinton decision to go to the convention in August. And then at the convention for Al Gore to end up with the nomination as a way to bring party unity.

I insisted that would never happen, but my dad insists that Al Gore could win in 2008. Not just the Democratic nomination, but the whole election! My dad believes Al Gore could beat John McCain! (Ed Note: Read the Gore link. It's pretty interesting and has a fun twist that I hadn't thought about previously. I could actually get behind the twist.)

I like Gore. I like him a lot. I really wish he had been our president for the last 8 years, but I won't go down that road right now. I wish he would run again, but I also believe he's done running for President.

Being the smart ass that I am, I asked my dad, why, if Gore was so great and beloved by all, didn't more people vote for him 8 years ago?

My dad said, "they should have."

Yep. My dad, who voted for W twice and never misses an opportunity to punch R on a ballot, now regrets his decision in 2000. He wishes he had voted for Gore.

Me too, Dad. I wish you had too.

You may want to place money on a Cubs World Series victory in October. Hell has officially frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.