Wednesday, January 20, 2010

One Year Later: Reflections on Change We Can Believe In


Today is the one year anniversary of the inauguration of President Barack Obama. In light of this historic day, I thought I'd finally publish my Twitterfeed from the days surrounding the inauguration. I tweeted the inauguration, just like I tweeted Election Night, and I really love looking back on this now and reliving exactly how I felt as I felt it.

We've come a long way in the last year, but we are no where near where any of us thought we'd be at this milestone. Given tonight's election of Scott Brown in Massachusetts, progressives country-wide need to take this loss as a wake-up call. We don't need to go down in defeat in November, but we will if we don't get behind our candidates and rally the voters.

I'm certainly not 100% satisfied with the job performance of President Obama and I wish he'd quit pandering to the middle and the right-wing. But now we need to remember the words of the late Senator Ted Kennedy (who is surely rolling over in his grave tonight), "For all those whose cares have been our concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." (Speech to the 1980 Democratic National Convention)

January 18-21, 2009
  • I am gushing with gratitude and hopefulness today.
  • Watching Obamavision & am seeing a sunset behind the Lincoln Memorial more beautiful than anything I saw live in DC in the 90s.
  • I'm looking forward to a week of new beginnings in every area of my life.
  • DL Hughley struggled to say something nice & truthful re Bush & succeeded: "Pres. Bush, out of all our Presidents, you are our 43rd." LOL
  • Today is the LAST full day of the Bush Presidency! No wonder the world feels lighter today. I'm giddy with delight.
  • 22 hours and 25 minutes and then all will be right in the world.
  • 18 hours & 30 minutes left. I'm counting down the minutes!
  • 17 1/2 hours left. Will this day NEVER end???
  • I'm so giddy with anticipation for tomorrow, I feel like I did when I was 6 and anticipating Santa on Christmas Eve, except this is better!
  • WAHOO!!!!!!! It's January 20th! It's here! It's here!
  • Can't sleep and watching CNN.
  • The Mall is already close to full. 6 hrs before Inauguration. I've never seen DC like this. WOW.
  • Headed out to find a paper with just over 3 hours to go. My emotions are all over the place. It's hard not to wish I was on The Mall.
  • I wish I had words to adequately express my emotions today, but they all seem too small to do justice to how I feel.
  • @tonydornacher You're so right. We all elected him, but he can't do the work alone. We must all carry the weight of change equally.
  • Adrenalin is keeping my eyes open this morning. I was simply too giddy with anticipation to sleep last night.
  • Even Betsey and Ross seem to understand the enormity of this day.
  • It's a bright sunny day in both Chicago and DC. Is God smiling on us for finally getting it right?
  • 40 minutes left . . . . Will Bush Sr. make it down those stairs okay?
  • Look at the pride and joy of Sasha and Malia! They are simply too cute.
  • The waterworks have started. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • 15 minutes . . . My heart is racing.
  • I had doubts about Rick Warren speaking, but I thought he nailed it and his prayer sent chills up my spine. Oh, Aretha is going to add more.
  • What Bible is Joe Biden using?
  • It's after 12:00 and even though Barack hasn't taken the oath . . . he's now the President! President Barack Obama. Damn that sounds good.
  • And now the oath is done. It's OFFICIAL OFFICIAL. Yes We Did.
  • I loved every moment of the Inauguration, but can't believe the Chief Justice John Roberts F*d up the oath.
  • I'm watching the parade on CNN and burst into tears when President Obama got out of the motorcade.
  • I love that we have grown-ups in the White House again and can stop just fantasizing about it while watching West Wing re-runs.
  • From Tony Dornacher: @happygirl616 I wonder if they have done the dirty in the Oval Office yet? 4:25PM Jan 20th from txt in reply to happygirl616
  • @tonydornacher They're in the viewing stand watching the parade. They won't have time for the nasty til much later tonight after the Balls.
  • From Tony Dornacher: @happygirl616 I wonder if there is a code word for the Secret Service when he needs to pee or do the dirty hulla? 4:30PM Jan 20th from txt in reply to happygirl616
  • @tonydornacher I don't know. Maybe there's a special POTUS door-hanger for when they want to do the horizontal Paso Doble.
  • Despite it all, or maybe because of it all, I've spent the day wondering if I made a huge mistake.
  • From Tony Dornacher: @happygirl616 I told you voting Democratic was a bad idea. All they do is tax and spend. 6:05 PM Jan 20th from txt in reply to happygirl616
  • @tonydornacher Voting Democratic was NOT the mistake I made. But I love your sense of humor.
  • From Tony Dornacher: The Obama merchandise is everyplace I go. The only thing missing are Obama underpants. 7:15 PM Jan 20th from txt
  • @tonydornacher Well, you're just not looking hard enough for the Obama underwear! http://www.cafepress.com/vo...
  • I love that the Obamas seem to be bringing romance back into style. . . Hopefully, it'll trickle down for the next 4-8 years.
  • Yesterday's sunny skis & optimism replaced by gray skies & sobering reality of a recession & war. We still have hope & it's spelled OBAMA.
  • My heart is full after hearing Sharon E. Watkins deliver a sermon at Natl Prayer Service. It was moving & inspiring. Look for it on YouTube.
  • The best line of the inauguration came from @tonydornacher "Grace is the new black." Simple, profound, and true.
  • The future's so bright I gotta wear shades.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, have been harboring an iffy discontent about Obama and his Congress. However, in doing some digging last night in response to some conservatives getting way too happy about Scott Brown (as if blocking legislation is a thing we all want), I found some rather encouraging information, which I share below.


    http://www.esquire.com/the-side/richardson-report/obama-timeline-110309

    http://www.majorityleader.gov/docUploads/Accomplishments111thCongress070209.pdf

    -Vincent Truman

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.