Friday, February 3, 2012

Run Across Palestine - Day 1 Before the Run


As I write this, my brother Dave is starting his 3rd day in Israel and Palestine and is preparing to run the first of five marathons he is running through Palestine over the next five days.

Dave is one of a handful of runners from Northern Michigan participating in the Run Across Palestine, an effort to raise money and awareness for olive farmers in Palestine, where olive farming is the backbone of the economy. As they run throughout the country (?), they'll donate 500 olive plants in each village and even help plant them in many of them.

Some highlights of journey include:

Day 1 begins in At-Tuwani, a small village in the Southern Hebron Hills where many people live in caves. They will end the day in Beit Ummar.

Day 3 finds them in East Jerusalem including the Old City and some of the holiest places to Judiasm, Christianity, and Islam, such as Temple Mount, Western Wall, Al-Aqsa Mosque, & the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.

This morning I received an email with the video below which gave me a far greater understanding and appreciation for the journey Dave is on and the impact his trip will have on families for generations. I think you'll be moved too. I've said it before and I"ll say it again: Words don't do justice to how proud I am of my brother and his desire to make the world a better place.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.