Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Ooh! Ooh! Katie! Pick Me! I Know the Answer!

Katie Couric: Okay, Little Merry Sunshine, what Supreme Court decisions do you disagree with?

Little Merry Sunshine: Well, Katie, I'm so glad you asked. There are a number of SCOTUS opinions I disagree with. First, I take extreme exception with Bush v. Gore, 531 U.S. 98 (2000). Yes, I'm still upset that Al Gore lost. And I believe that if former Vice President Gore were President these last eight years, we would not be in this horrible economic crisis we now find ourselves in. Furthermore, we would not have invaded Iraq based on lies.

Second, I disagree with Exxon Shipping v. Baker, 554 U.S. ____ (2008), in which the Supreme Court decreased the punitive damages owed by Exxon for the 1989 11 million gallon Exxon Valdez oil spill in the Prince William Sound in Alaska from $5 billion to $500 million. Companies such as Exxon must be held responsible for their actions, especially when they cause that kind of environmental damage.

Finally, I disagree with the Supreme Court in its ruling in Ledbetter v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., 550 U.S. ____ (2007), in which the Supreme Court held that employers are protected from lawsuits for pay discrimination when the decisions were made by employers more than 180 days ago. It's almost always impossible to know about income disparity within 180 days of a salary decision being made. Furthermore, many companies have strict policies prohibiting employees discussing salary with other employees.

Katie Couric: Wow. Little Merry Sunshine, I'm impressed with your depth of knowledge of Supreme Court cases. Do you read any newspapers, by chance?

LMS: As a matter of fact, Katie, I am a voracious reader. My mother was a remedial reading teacher and I could read when I entered Kindergarten. But to your specific question about newspapers, you know, I'm very environmentally conscious, and while I love the feel of a newspaper in my hands, I have chosen not subscribe to any newspapers. Instead, I read a multitude of newspapers, magazines and other news sources online. I find that reading online also allows me the opportunity to learn about the issues facing our country and our world from a vast spectrum of perspectives, rather than a singular point of view.

Katie Couric: Thank you for sitting down with me today, Little Merry Sunshine. I know you're a busy woman running a small business and preparing for your college reunion in less than 48 hours, so I appreciate that you chose to speak with me today.

LMS: Oh, Katie, you are so very welcome. Chatting with you was my pleasure. Feel free to call me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.