Friday, November 7, 2008

In Case You've Already Forgotten the Significance of This Week

There are almost no words to describe my feelings for this week. In fact, I think it's only hitting me today. I happened to catch President-Elect Obama's first press conference today and I cried watching it. He's so presidential and so ready. He was somber and serious. He understands what lies ahead. And despite all the challenges, he still inspires. He still knows how to empathize with us.

I found this Daily Kos video over on Americablog tonight. It's worth the ten minutes.



Obviously we've got quite a lot to do as a country. In the months ahead, we'll still have to deal with two wars and a badly hurt if not crippled economy. There will be times we are tempted to do and say divisive things, times when we may not agree with President Obama, times when people say or do things to get us riled up, and possibly things will get worse before they get better. I hope that when we are tempted do engage in the "them vs. us" rhetoric of the past that we will remember that what got us President Barack Obama was the ability to set our aside our differences and come together. We will always have more that unites us than divides us. And during those times we are feeling discouraged, I hope we'll think back to how we feel this week and hold onto that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.