Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Take Me Out To The Ballgame . . . And Leave Me There

A friend of mine posted an article on Facebook this morning titled "Cubs-Inspired Cemetery Opens Wednesday." It's about Dennis Mascari, who while visiting his late father at the cemetery a couple of years ago, came up with an the idea to create a cemetery modeled after the center field wall at Wrigley Field. I love it! Beyond the Vines will open on April 22nd and for a fraction of the cost of a traditional burial, your ashes can be interred in one of the "Eternal Skyboxes" in Bohemian National Cemetery on Chicago's North side. Eventually, there will be ivy on the walls, a stained glass scoreboard, turf and bricks from Wrigley Field, and actual Cubs box seats.

My friend thought this was a bit creepy, but I actually think it's a great idea, if only as a consolation prize to what I'd truly like in the afterlife.

I'd much rather have my ashes scattered at the actual Wrigley Field like Steve Goodman's. The only problem is that the Cubs don't officially allow it. According to Eric Zorn, the only way to do it is to "find a guy who knows some guys who know a guy who know a guy."

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not planning on going anywhere anytime soon. That and I've aleady planned to have my ashes scattered at Watervale. But given the opportunity, I'd really love to have half my ashes scattered at Wrigley Field and half scattered at Watervale.

In light of how loyal baseball fans are and how much Cubs fans have suffered for our team over the last 100 years, Eric Zorn is right and the Cubs should allow fans to have their ashes scattered along the warning track. I guess, in the meantime, Beyond the Vines is a suitable substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.