Saturday, February 23, 2008

Mark Your Calendars!

Rick Springfield will be on Oprah this Tuesday - February 26th! In Chicago, you will find Oprah on at 9:00am and 11:05pm on Channel 7. Set your Tivo, DVRs and VCRs.

You'll recall that I am HUGE Rick Springfield fan and have lusted after him since I was 13. The truth is, however, that my lust for Rick is nothing in comparison to Cheryl's lust for Rick. Cheryl has seen him at Poplar Creek (we think we were at the same concert, but didn't know each other then), at the Ohio State Fair and in Milwaukee, Joilet, and St. Charles, Illinois. She has every album, is a card-carrying member of the Rick Springfield Fan Club, and even has several pieces Rick Springfield memorabilia including a mirror with his likeness that she stood outside for over an hour in the freezing cold last November to have him autograph after the St. Charles concert (note: she was the only fan who waited for him). The pictures to the right are of her with Rick in St. Charles.

What does this have to do with the Queen of All Media - Oprah? Cheryl was in the audience! With her Rick Springfield mirror!

To put this into perspective, this show was taped on February 6th - the day after Super Tuesday, when Chicago had a huge blizzard. Cheryl was at Harpo Studios at 7:00am for a taping of Rick on Oprah. Schools were closed. Roads were impassible. The devoted fan that she is, Cheryl spent the night at her cousin's house in the city and they arrived at Harpo before 7:00am on the worst day this winter. I wasn't there and I'm completely jealous. I could have been there, but I had a previous commitment. Instead, thanks to the snow, I was at home, repeatedly shoveling my driveway.

Of her experience on Oprah with Rick, Cheryl says "[My cousin Joan & I] were in the center section, dead center, with a couple of empty seats in front of us. I was the only one in my section with Rick Springfield memorabilia. Rick arrived to the screams of the all-female audience, sat down next to Oprah, looked up at me holding my mirror and other memorabilia and gave me the thumbs-up and huge grin. I'm sure he remembered our encounter in St. Charles and all the audience members around me squealed that he was looking at ME!"

It's sure to be a fantastic show, although Cheryl and I can't figure out the connection between Rick, William Shatner, and Henry Winkler. Look for Cheryl in the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.