Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I'm Still a Girl Afterall

So I'm having a super crazy week. Work is hopping. Personal life is hopping. I have way too many plates in the air this week. I'm usually pretty good with juggling them all, but somehow one fell out of the air today.

I came home for lunch this afternoon (something I do daily - yay for working from home!) and put my car in the garage as I always do. But when I went back out a few minutes ago, I discovered my car battery was dead. I left the lights on. That's the plate that fell.

Now I kind of know how to jump my car, so I looked for my battery charger figuring it had instructions on the box. It turned out, however, that Dave took it to Michigan with him. So I called AAA. This is what I have them for, afterall. I politely explained to the AAA rep that I have a curved driveway and my car was parked inside my single-car garage, so it would probably be best if the tow truck had a portable battery charger, rather than try to manuver in my driveway. No problem he said.

An hour later the tow truck arrived and as he pulled into my driveway, the driver just shook his head at me, as if to say "there's no way I can get to your car." He gets out of his truck, walks over to me and says "I CAN'T get to your car! I CAN'T do it!!" Calmly, I explained that I informed AAA about my driveway and specifically requested a tow truck with a portable battery charger. He shouted at me again saying he did not have a portable battery charger and had never had this situation before (really?), as he waived his hands and shook his head.

At that point, I asked him not to yell at me because I really wasn't at fault here (aside from leaving my lights on) and this really wasn't what I needed, but he just kept going.

So I pulled out the only thing left in my arsenal: tears. Now, don't get me wrong, this wasn't full on sobbing. This was only slightly more crying than Hillary Clinton did in New Hampshire.

But it worked because before the first tear hit the ground (or froze), Mr. Tow Truck Driver was apologizing all over himself and suggested we push my car out of the garage. That worked and in less than 5 minutes, my car was humming again, just like it normally does.

I actually feel bad about the tears. I don't normally cry on demand, but it's nice to know that I can if necessary. I'm still a girl, afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.