Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Community Shred Day!

Start gathering those personally identifying recyclable papers now! You know what you're looking for:
  • credit card solicitations
  • old bills
  • anything with your social security number
  • Tax Returns filed more than 7 years ago (NOTE: Do not shred tax returns less filed than 7 years ago or the supporting documentation because if you get audited, you will need it all)
  • old bank statements including ATM receipts
  • documents with other people's personal information

I also shred my grocery bills and other store receipts because all too often they have my name on them, either from the check I've written, my credit card, or from the store's preferred customer program.

Midwest Bank in Mt. Prospect, formerly known as Mt. Prospect National Bank, is holding a Community Shred Day!

Community Shred Day
Saturday, May 24th
9am - 12noon
Midwest Bank
50 N. Main Street
Mt. Prospect

There is no charge for this service and you can bring up to 100 pounds of paper. You simply drive up and unload right into the shredder.

The City of Chicago is also holding a Community Shred Day on Saturday, June 14th at the United Center. Again, it's free and you can find out all the relevant information at Chicago Shreds.

I checked to see if Arlington Heights was doing one (the senior center did last year), but they are not. What a shame. Given the rampant rise in identity theft, I would think every community would have a vested interest in helping its residents to protect themselves. It's truly a valuable community service.

4 comments:

  1. FYI, the website FileStoreShred.com provides a list of locations where individuals, households and home businesses can have their personal and confidential papers shredded for FREE – with no further obligation. These often are special events intended to help the public reduce the risk of identity theft. FileStoreShred.com includes listings from across the USA, Canada, and of course, Illinois. The site also includes hazardous waste recycling events

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting and thanks for your comment, G! I did not know about that website!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a home shredder and I shred anything with any personal info on it whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you Dr. Monkey. I have a personal shredder and I shred everything. Unfortunately, sometimes I get behind.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.