Saturday, May 17, 2008

This ASTOUNDS Me . . . How Could Mike Huckabee Say This?

As much as I'd like to believe we live in a completely colorblind society, where the color of one's skin or their gender truly does not matter, the fact is there are racists in this country. Some of them would like nothing more than for Barack Obama to not be running for President. And some would like that by any means necessary.

Given this fact, how is it possible for former Republican presidential candidate and former Southern Baptist minister Mike Huckabee to make a "joke" at the NRA about someone pointing a gun at Barack Obama? In what part of the universe is this funny? And, yes, it's not funny because Barack is African-American. In fact, I think it's racist.

Some pundits want to give Huckabee the benefit of the doubt and have said that he is known to be a funny guy who ad libs and jokes around a lot. Huckabee, himself, has issued an apology, stating last night "[d]uring my speech at the N.R.A., a loud noise backstage, that sounded like a chair falling, distracted the crowd and interrupted my speech. I made an off hand remark that was in no way intended to offend or disparage Sen. Obama. I apologize that my comments were offensive. That was never my intention."

The thing is, I don't buy it. I want to understand that it was made in the "heat of the moment" and that it was just an "oops," but I believe that making racist (or sexist) jokes isn't just something that happens as an "oops" in public unless you do it in private.

In case you haven't seen it, here's Huckabee's "joke" that he made in front of the NRA yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.