Sunday, August 31, 2008

Is This An Example of John McCain's Judgement?

Since the announcement of Sarah Palin as John McCain's running mate, I have heard many reports that he had met her exactly 1 (ONE) time prior to a two-hour meeting on Thursday (the day before he announced his choice) and deciding withing minutes that she would be his VP.

When I applied for my first job out of college, the position of Legal Assistant Clerk at a major DC law firm, I had no fewer than 3 interviews with multiple people over multiple days. Three interviews with multiple people over multiple days for a job where I was responsible for such high pressure and earth shattering tasks as affixing bates labels (in other words, numbering documents produced in discovery - you start at 1 and continue until you're done), filing documents previously pulled by attorneys for their review (because they have the bates labels, you simply put page 5 after page 4), and copy checking (reviewing copies against the originals to make sure the copy company didn't screw up). Lives clearly hung in the balance. And that was 15 years ago.

If I were to interview for a job today, I can be assured I would be subjected to multiple interviews with multiple people over multiple days (and probably over multiple weeks), a background check including criminal and credit checks, drug screening, reference checks, and a Google search, at a minimum.

For a job that is one heart beat away from being the Leader of the Free World, Sarah Palin had 1 interview with 1 person that lasted for a few minutes. 1 interview with 1 person that lasted for a few minutes. Oh, I forgot McCain also asked his advisers for a pro and con list and none of his advisers were "strong advocates" of hers.

Hell, I've put potential dinner dates through more rigorous vetting processes!

McCain barely knows Sarah Palin. He does know this could be a long-term commitment right? If it turns out he doesn't like her or gets bored, he can't simply find someone younger and hotter, offer that beauty pageant winner the job and then dump Palin, right?

I heard this morning on CNN that 1 of 3 VPs have ended up having to serve as President. Given that McCain is 72 and is not in tip-top health, the odds are at least 1 in 3 that his VP would end up serving part of his term, should he win. I'm not sure that want to trust that job to McCain and a running mate he can barely pick out in a crowd.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great post. Palin is a scary prospect and you are right she would probably end up as the president since McCain is not really in great health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just does not make sense from so many angles.

    I keep hearing he really wanted Lieberman, but that would never work.

    What he did get by choosing her was to steal Obama's thunder the day after the historic speech.

    Strange. But as I have said - I am not laughing them away.

    We've got work to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Fran and Boxer!

    You know, the more I hear about Palin, the more scared I am. If the big rumor about Palin at the moment has legs and there's an ounce of truth to it, I have even more serious concerns about any judgement the GOP claims to have. And I most certainly do not want them educating (or setting educational policies for) my future children with their "abstinence only" bullshit.

    And don't get me started on the choice issue and how much I hate that the GOP wants government small enough to fit inside my uterus (thanks Josh Lyman!).

    I agree we have LOTS of work to do. We MUST get Obama elected.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.