Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Private Thank You in a Public Forum

I have two friends who have taught me a very valuable lesson over the last 18 months or so. What makes this the least bit interesting in my mind is that neither of these friends know each other, although I've certainly spoken to each of them about the other, and certainly neither of them set out to teach me anything. They just did.

My entire life I've been very analytical. I want to know an outcome or probable outcome before I do something. It's not that I can't or don't make decisions on the spur of the moment, I do. In fact, I've moved across country twice without really thinking about it. I think part of the reason I am sometimes overly cautious is because I never want to look bad or be embarrassed. And one of my faults is that I care (entirely too much) what other people think.

Usually being so analytical and worrying about what others will think has worked out okay. But far too often being so analytical and worrying about what others will think has caused me to miss out on what could have been amazing experiences.

So what does this admission of one of my (many) flaws have to do with these two friends? Everything.

Both of these friends have taught me to think less and do more. In their own special ways, they have both shown me how to take chances and step outside of my comfort zone in some huge ways and that it will all be okay. I've learned that whenever one of them suggests I get involved with something, the experience will be far greater than I could have ever imagined. They have both taught me that nothing great was ever achieved by worrying about being unpopular or that someone else will think it's stupid.

These two friends know exactly who they are and I won't name them here. They are two of the greatest people I've ever known and I'm proud to call them my friends.

I hope you have friends who teach you life lessons too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.