Friday, August 1, 2008

The Neighborhood Still Matters

I know it's been a few days since I've last posted, but I had a good excuse. I was in Dallas. Dallas in July. And it was awesome. And I'll blog about it over the weekend.

When I arrived home, I discovered, much to my dismay, that the world is falling apart. Now I know we've had problems over the last few months and many of them I've discussed here. Food pantries with no food. AK-47s. The list goes on.

But this is serious. I mean, really serious. PBS is trying to eliminate Mister Rogers.

Yes, Fred Rogers. Of the zip-up sweaters. You'll recall I wished Mister Rogers a Happy 80th Birthday. Mister Rogers is one of my heroes. I don't say that lightly because I don't have many. It's an exclusive club and he's one of the original members.

I'm not feeling very original today, so I'm just going to reprint what Brad Meltzer had to say yesterday.

But please, this is a Call to Action. Save Mr. Rogers for future generations!

Mr. Rogers, People!

I don’t have many heroes. Mr. Rogers is one of them. So when I saw my buddy Whitney post this on PopCandy, my eyes started to bleed. I’m now stealing it as a call to action. If you want to know why you should care, watch Mr. Rogers testify before congress for public television. I dare you. Please do join the cause. He. Is. The. Best.

YouTube link of Mr. Rogers defending PBS.

From Popcandy:

Pop reader Amy H. is worried about Mister Rogers.

Why? Because PBS "is trying to wipe him off the face of the earth by limiting his program to once a week," she says. "I mean, what is their reasoning? He’s outdated? He’s had the same puke-green curtains since 1970, so his being outdated is hardly a new claim. But his message is TIMELESS."

A campaign has been started at http://savemisterrogers.com to try to bring back Mister Rogers' Neighborhood into daily syndication. It was started by a young father who wants his kids to grow up with the man who taught him about human kindness and comfortable sweaters.

Amy adds that a Facebook group has started as well. Hey, if it can happen with Jericho, maybe it can happen with this Neighborhood, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.