Wednesday, August 19, 2009

OMG! Michelle Obama Wore SHORTS!

Yes, seriously.

Imagine my surprise this morning when, barely awake, I opened my online newspaper of choice, and discovered an article on whether it was appropriate for First Lady Michelle Obama to wear shorts. Before reading the article, I thought "Huh, that's odd. She's usually so appropriate, why would she make such a poor choice when meeting a foreign leader?" I mean, would the media really be covering this if it weren't some major foreign relations snafu?

Evidently, yes, although it seems it wasn't an article, so much as a poll asking if it was appropriate for Mrs. Obama to have worn said shorts. It seems that she made this most egregious fashion faux pas while on vacation with her family at the Grand Canyon. You know, it's not exactly a temperate climate out there at the Grand Canyon. With an average daily temperature in August of 104, I'd say as long as folks don't go naked they are just fine and dandy with me.

I happen to be out of town this week, sort of on vacation, and it's hot. Damn hot. Drying my hair is optional and my makeup hasn't seen the outside of my suitcase. Now I understand that the First Lady is in a slightly different situation, but she's still on vacation with her family. Do people expect her to wear heels, hose, and a shirtwaist dress while traipsing through the Grand Canyon?

Since I'm on vacation, I haven't been paying much attention to the news, so I turned to MSNBC for more on this story. They called the shorts "short shorts" and they also had a poll and a video. Now I don't mean to argue with MSNBC, but these are short shorts:

And these are not:
Michelle Obama's shorts are age and body appropriate. They are also appropriate for the activity she is participating in.

To the media, I beg you. We've got real problems in this country. Health care reform, 2 wars, and an unstable economy to name just a few. Can we please focus on what's really important? This stuff just makes you look stupid and petty.

And if we can't do that, can we at least all focus on my major concern today? Should I have my nails painted "Overexposed in South Beach," "Kinky in Helsinki," "Vodka & Caviar," or "Feelin' Hot-Hot-Hot"? at my mani/pedi this morning?

4 comments:

  1. A mom dressing like a mom while on vacation? Oh, the humanity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I wonder what hysteria will ensue if *gasp* she ever wants to go swimming.

    http://alturl.com/f65m

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Ratgurrl! That pic is HYSTERICAL!

    For the record, I went with "It's All Greek To Me" by OPI because I'm in Tarpon Springs, FL, home to more Greeks than I think anywhere else on the planet, which is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been annoyed with the media's attention of Mrs. O's clothes since they said it was inappropriate for her to show off those fabulous arms in sleeveless dresses (including her official WH photograph)...

    I love her style and so appropriate! Much better than a wife who walks ten steps behind and doesn't even really look like she wants to be seen with "Stupid". Then again, if I was married to George the Second, I wouldn't want people to know that, either.. ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.