Monday, January 19, 2009

Just Let It Go

My newish blog buddy American Girl over at She's an American Girl has written one of the most poignant blog posts I've read in a long time. Maybe ever.

As we sit on the cusp of history about to inaugurate our first African American President and on the day we celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., you simply must read this post on racism. It will touch you deeply.

It embarrasses me to say that I know people who are racist (hell, I'm related to a few). Although these people are not part of my day-to-day life, I have been around them and heard some of the most vile words come out of their mouths and not called them on the carpet for it. Instead, I've simply walked away. That was the wrong response. It was the wrong response because it didn't address the problem and because my silence (even as I was walking away) could have been construed as condonement.

I vow that from today forward, I will call out hateful behavior of all kinds.

I'm fairly certain that each of us has had this experience. If we all spoke up to hate speech, we might affect change in some people. The ripple effect could be enormous.

Now go read She's An American Girl.

1 comment:

  1. Aww...you make me blush. Thanks for your lovely comments on my site. I appreciate that you thought my post worthy of a link. Feel free to put it on your Facebook.

    Air kisses and virtual hugs to you, Miss Sunshine.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.