Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Pot of Gold

I had a skin care class scheduled for this evening in Woodstock, which is between 45 minutes and 1 hour away, depending on traffic, and in the boondocks. In fact, I wouldn't even really call it a Chicago suburb, although I guess it is.

I've been sick the last few days and despite the fact that I was feeling better today, by 4pm, my energy was zapped, my voice hoarse, and my head ready to explode. Add to that an entirely black sky at 4pm and to say I didn't really want to go would be an understatement. All I wanted to do was crawl into bed after slathering my body in Vicks VapoRub.

But I made a commitment to these six women and I went. I was going to pamper the women at Rebekah's House. Rebekah's House is a transitional home for women overcoming alcohol and drug dependency.

The women I met with tonight ranged in age from 18-50, I would guess. The bond they shared was obvious as they each helped one another. They were warm, genuine, funny, smart, loving, and grateful as they fell all over themselves thanking me for coming to spend time with them. And within seconds, I forgot I was still feeling crummy.

I didn't go there to sell anything and I didn't. My entire purpose tonight was to pamper the women at Rebekah's House. Yet somehow, the universe always makes sure I get paid.

On my way home, I was driving into the storm with the sun peeking through the black clouds behind me. And then I saw it in front of me. A semi-circle rainbow. I don't think I've ever seen an entire semi-circle rainbow before. The colors were so vivid - red, orange, yellow, blue, indigo, and violet. They were all there and they took my breath away. I turned onto Dick Tracy Lane where there was a huge field and got out of my car to get a better look and maybe take a picture with my cell phone.

And then a second rainbow appeared. About 10 feet above the first one, although I'm sure it was further away than 10 feet. The second rainbow wasn't quite as bright, but it was a complete semi-circle, just like the first.

I stood there against my car with the rain coming down on me captivated by this miracle of nature. Without a doubt, the semi-circle double rainbow I saw tonight was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

I was so grateful to have driven to Woodstock because the double rainbow wouldn't have been visible in Arlington Heights and even if I had seen a rainbow from home, I certainly wouldn't have seen the semi-circle of both rainbows.

At that moment, I thought about that old saying about finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I realized, as I stood there in the pouring rain, that my pot of gold was being able to enjoy the double rainbow and being able to help other women feel good about themselves tonight. And I was blessed.

I'm not sure how to move the video from my cell phone to my blog, so until I get that figured out, enjoy the picture below of a semi-circle double rainbow. Aside from the blue sky, mountains, greenery and the guy, this is exactly what it looked like. Oh, and my second rainbow was brighter.



And below is a picture from the Daily Herald of what a single rainbow looked like tonight in Libertyville. This is what I saw, only more intense and two of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.