Monday, September 8, 2008

The Book of Lies - Final Chapter

If you're looking for spoilers to Brad Meltzer's Book of Lies, you've come to the wrong place. I'm not giving any of them away. Go read the book.

This is the final chapter of my story about The Book of Lies.

Tonight was Brad's book signing at The Book Stall in Winnetka, IL. And you know I was there. It was a rainy night, so I wasn't sure what the turnout would be, but the place was packed. I had about 15 books, including comic books, for Brad to sign, so my plan was to wait until the end because I hated to make others with fewer books wait for me.

Brad started out reading parts of Chapter 2, one of the most pivotal of the book, and then taking questions. Once the questions started, it became obvious that Brad knew at least half the room.

Finally, the signing itself started. One of the things I love about Brad is that he takes the time to have conversations with people and develop relationships. And as long as he's talking to you, you're the only person in existence. He doesn't see anyone else. There was a guy Brad met when writing The Millionaires who took him through the underground tunnels at Disney. And Brad remembered him from 2002. Another woman from Hogan (in addition to me). College friends. Grade school friends. Relatives. Some he hadn't seen in years and years. And all the folks he met for the first time tonight. He'll remember them. Really. Another thing I love is that he tells people to bring everything for him to sign. There were guys there with a box full of Brad's comics. And Brad was happy to sign it all.

Finally, the line fizzled down to just two other women and me. It turned out one of them he'd known since grade school. So the four of us sat and chatted for probably 30 minutes before he left for Ann Arbor. He signed all our books. I won't tell you what he wrote inside my personal copy of The Book of Lies. That's private. You get to read what he wrote about me in the Acknowledgements, but this is mine.

And then he did something for me that I'll absolutely never forget. And this is why Brad is the greatest guy ever. He called my mom and wished her a Happy Birthday. And he didn't just talk for 7 seconds. They chatted for a few minutes. It made her night. And it made mine.

Here are some pics.

First, is Brad wishing my mom a happy birthday.

Second, Brad and Me.

2 comments:

  1. Awwww, you look so cute together. You are one lucky gal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dr. Monkey. I am lucky to count Brad as one of my friends.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.