Friday, September 5, 2008

I'm Confused.


And I'll admit that it's fairly easy for me to be confused.

I thought that Barack Obama was the Elitist in this campaign, not anyone in the GOP. From what I've been hearing this week at the GOP Convention, I thought John McCain was a "man of the people" and just like you and me. And that's why he chose Sarah Palin as his runningmate. The two of them are just plain ordinary folks, just like the rest of us.

But then I saw this in Vanity Fair and now I'm confused.

I guess I'm confused because most people in this country don't own homes worth $280,000. ALL the clothes in my wardrobe are probably worth less than Cindy McCain's watch. Many people in this country earn $25,000 annually and that's just what Cindy spends on a pearl necklace.


Who's the Elitist?

by Vanity Fair September 4, 2008, 10:29 AM

One of the persistent memes in the Republican line of attack against Barack Obama is the notion that he is an elitist, whereas the G.O.P. represent real working Americans like Levi “F-in’ Redneck” Johnston.

It caught our attention, then, when First Lady Laura Bush and would-be First Lady Cindy McCain took the stage Tuesday night wearing some rather fancy designer clothes. So we asked our fashion department to price out their outfits.

Laura Bush
Oscar de la Renta suit: $2,500
Stuart Weitzman heels: $325
Pearl stud earrings: $600–$1,500
Total: Between $3,425 and $4,325

Cindy McCain
Oscar de la Renta dress: $3,000
Chanel J12 White Ceramic Watch: $4,500
Three-carat diamond earrings: $280,000
Four-strand pearl necklace: $11,000–$25,000
Shoes, designer unknown: $600
Total: Between $299,100 and $313,100

Wow! No wonder McCain has so many houses: his wife has the price of a Scottsdale split-level hanging from her ears.

(All prices except Laura’s shoes and Cindy’s watch are estimates, and the jewelry prices are based on the assumption that the pieces are real.)

5 comments:

  1. It's only elitist when uppity black people do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, now that I look at that pic a 2nd time, I hope Cindy and Laura were wearing undies. That floor is practically a mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that AND a shiny floor so you can see up their skirts.

    Eeew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy McCain's outfit: $300,000..! No wonder McCain has so many houses. His wife has the price of a Scottsdale split-level hanging from her ears.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on Little Merry Sunshine. Due to the volume of spam comments, all comments must be approved to ensure they are not spam or spambots. Thank you for understanding.